Monday, February 9, 2015

Watercolor Landscape - Tree Silhouettes on Stars

Title: Dark Yet Bright
Size: 8 by 6 inches
This piece shows the silhouettes of quiver trees against a very starry sky as the sun begins to peak over the horizon.

If ever there was a truly mixed medium piece, it was this. The sky, trees, and ground were done in watercolor; the leaves on the near trees and trunks of far trees were added in pen for extra precision; and the stars are a mix of acrylic and oil paints (I tried acrylic first, but my paint wasn't showing up as well as I wanted).

My piece was inspired by this picture:

Unsurprisingly, I don't quite feel that I was able to fully portray the majesty of the original scene.I feel that my stars are too bulky, the sky's brush strokes are too obvious, and the trees don't look quite right. Luckily, the painting is still taped to my desk, so I can continue adding to it until I'm more satisfied with it. I do like how I was able to bring out the colors of the night sky and how the texture of ground came out.

Here's one of my experimental paintings where I played with mixing mediums.

Interestingly enough, the best part of this practice turned out to be the edge. At the time I was simply too lazy to make a proper border, but now I'm rather fond of the splayed colors overlapping each other and the paper.


This has been a rather educational project. I've never mixed so many mediums before, so there was a lot of experimenting and testing the boundaries going on. Also, it was fun to experiment with stars. Maybe I'll try it again at some point. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment