Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Week 9 - Owls

Title: Strigiform Portraits
Size: 10 by 14 inches
In this piece I tried to portray the facial expressions of a few different types of owl.

I love owls. They're fascinating creatures, quite cute, and their facial expressions! Owls have very expressive faces. Some (like the eagle, snowy, or great horned) seem perpetually grumpy. Others (like the long eared, great grey, or saw whets) seem perpetually surprised. I realized I hadn't done any owls for this class yet, so I figured that this would be an excellent assignment to bring them in for. :)

I had tons of fun trying to come up with different owls to draw. I think my favorite is the barn owl. I've always had a soft spot for them, and my barn owl turned out surprisingly well, I think. This assignment was interesting because I had to try to translate the owls' faces onto paper while highlighting their expressions. It was fun. :)

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I love this. I really like that you did different owls. It shows that you put in a lot of time into it. There eyes are so so amazing. I am glad I got to see this thanks for sharing. I will keep an eye out for more of your work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really cool project. I like how you drew different breeds of owls it just makes it even cooler. Good job with this project it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete