Thursday, February 4, 2016

Family Home Evening - Armor of God Paper Doll


Title: Armor of God Self Portrait
Size: 11 by 9 inches
For our Family Home Evening this week we had a lesson on putting on the armor of God (from Ephesians 6:13-18) and made paper dolls of ourselves. We held a discussion on how we can put one the armor of God while we designed our dolls and armor. Overall, it was a wonderful evening.

This piece is in colored pencil and pen on card stock. It feels like forever since I've drawn myself, so this was a lot of fun. Trying to get all the armor to match up with the doll was a bit crazy, but the challenge is what makes it fun, right? Another thing I really enjoyed about drawing this was trying to reverse engineer my design process for the armor. 

I realized almost immediately as I started that I was drawing heavily from some Elantris sketches I'd done a while back, trying to design Hrathen's armor. My first sketches looked very much like Hrathen's armor. So I tried to mix it up a bit - by pulling inspiration from the Stormlight Archive's shardbearers. There was definitely a moment of "why is all my inspiration from Brandon Sanderson books?!". It didn't help terribly when I realized my that my sword looked a lot like Nightblood, from Warbreaker.

So, needless to say, it was interesting to try and track down where my ideas were coming from. This post is getting a bit wordy, so I think I'll go ahead and close with my doll's base. :)

    

No comments:

Post a Comment