Friday, June 5, 2015

Final Project - TenSoon Portraits (part 3)

Title: TenSoon Portraits

Here we are! All three portraits together at last. Those shapeshifters get around, don't they? I think these portraits' subjects all look fairly different from each other.

Today, I will be focusing on my "True Body" portrait, as I barely finished it. (It's the morbid looking one).

Title: True Body
Size: 9 by 5 inches
...So this piece was my delightful attempt at drawing a skeleton within translucent skin that was done much too quickly because I woke up late. Let me start over. 

For these portraits, I'm focusing on TenSoon, a shapeshifter from the Mistborn series. He's a kandra, a type of creature that can mimic any sort of body. There's a catch though: they need a skeleton to work around. Kandra don't have any skeleton of their own. Anyway, when kandra are in their homeland, they wear artistically crafted bones instead of other's bones. To show off these "True Bodies", they make their bodies translucent. So this is my painting of TenSoon in a True Body. I'm not sure of my feelings towards it yet. I don't know what I was expecting, so it's hard to form an opinion on the finished piece. 

Unfortunately for this piece, I slept in this morning. About 10am, I'm sitting in bed when I realize I have a portrait due in three hours. Yup. Excellent motivation to start scrambling.

One thing that was interesting with this piece was trying to draw the skeleton. Drawing how bones fit into a body is a rather different matter than just drawing the body. So that made for a fascinating, if rushed, portion of this painting. I'm thinking that, if nothing else, I'll at least go through and pretty up the background. I don't know what it is about watercolor, but doing abstract with it is significantly harder for me than with oils.

Anyway, it's been a wonderful year of art classes. Thanks to everyone who helped make them that way! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment