Sunday, May 31, 2015

Weekly Drawing - Steampunk

Title: A Study in Steampunk
Size: 8 by 4 inches
This piece shows Esmeralda, one of my characters, dressed in the steampunk style and examining her pocket watch.

This week I looked into steampunk, as I'd heard about it, but never really been given a definition. It's interesting, the term "steampunk" was actually first used to describe a story that was reminiscent of the "cyberpunk" literary genre. It often involves today's technology reimagined, placed in the 1800s or 1900s, and powered by steam. Since it was first coined in the late 1980s, the term steampunk has evolved from being just a sub-genre of science fiction (and sometimes fantasy) to a branch of fashion, engineering, and music.

While designing this piece, I looked at many examples of the steampunk style, took what I liked, and compiled it. I think it turned out alright, but this piece took a bit longer than I first thought it would. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment