Friday, October 10, 2014

Art - week 7


Title: Fruit from Shinovar
Size: 8 by 9 inches
This piece portrays the texture of a strawberry.

Here is half an hour's worth of staring at fruit. I wasn't sure if I could spend the whole half hour on a single strawberry, but I somehow managed it. Hooray! These guys have way more texture than I thought, so it was interesting to try and show the idea of a strawberry's texture without going through grid art style and making every square centimeter exact.

This actually turned out way better than I expected. I wasn't quite sure how well the texture would end up, but it actually looks like a strawberry. Who would've guessed? My one problem was that the strawberry I was drawing from was really narrow. You may wonder how that would affect the drawing, but because it's so narrow, it almost looks like the shadow is part of the fruit itself.

For anyone wondering about the title, it's in reference to the Stormlight Archive, where strawberries only grow in a distant country called Shinovar. It's a bit random, but I've been trying to make my titles less direct, so calling the piece "A Strawberry" seemed a bit too straightforward to me. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I think Lorenzo would like syrup from Shinovar. The shadow does make the strawberry look larger. It might be interesting to play around with what you could make bigger by obscuring size.

    ReplyDelete